Thursday, February 1, 2018

January Books Read

This is the best I can do at the moment.  We're still in the middle of moving house.  We bought a house in late October and thought how great it was that we'd have time to paint and renovate and move things before we sold our house in Philly.  Well, I'm not sure moving slowly is the way to do it.

The house in Philly sold the day after the Open House.  It's 99% a done deal, all the preliminary papers signed and inspections completed, just one thing to clear up and then the closing on the 22nd.  Movers are coming on the 13th to move the big furniture that we can't move and my many, many boxes of books.  I've already apologized to them twice.  We moved some of my more fragile or valuable books ourselves.

But, in just a few weeks, we get to sort out the chaos that is our new house.  How did we get all this 'stuff' and where are we going to put it?!  But there are gardens, a fireplace, huge mature trees, a fenced yard, a large patio, peace and quiet.  And good and old friends very close.  And family close, too.

In the meantime, here's what I managed to read in January:

Blackbird Fly  -  Lisa McClendon

Death Walks the Woods  -  Cyril Hare

Between the Pages  -  Kathleen Adelaide

The Wanted  -  Robert Crais

Dirge for a Dorset Druid  -   Margot Arnold

Nine Coaches Waiting  -  Mary Stewart

Blackbird Fly was sort of a combination of those 'ex-pat moves to village in France / Italy / some other European country and has trouble with the natives.  Except that this one is a suspense novel and includes more than one murder.  It didn't grab me and whirl me along, but I liked it enough to keep going.

I've always liked Cyril Hare and this one didn't disappoint.  There's a murder in a small village, there are quirky characters, there's even some humor.

Between the Pages is exactly what I expected from one of my favorite book bloggers, mirabile dictu. She write erudite blog posts about her love of Latin and books, and, sometimes, Latin books!  None of the books she writes about in Between the Pages are Latin books, though.  I love people who love books, but isn't that why you're reading this?  I recommend both her book, available on Amazon, and her blog.

The Wanted was good, but there wasn't enough Joe Pike!  More Joe Pike!  More Joe Pike!

With Dirge for a Dorset Druid, I've realized that although I like this series, my enjoyment is marred by the size of the type in the copies I've been able to find.  It's small and crowded on the page.  I'm at the age where my eyes blur and cross when confronted with too much small, crowded type.  It takes me forever to read.  That said, I like the archeological and murderous adventures of Sir Toby and Dr. Penny (I think she's a Dame now).  They're characters themselves and they're often in interesting locations to solve crimes.

Nine Coaches Waiting is a reread.  It's not on my list of Books Read, but I know I read it back in my teen years.  I wasn't as compulsive about keeping my list then as I am now.  Maybe I need to keep order in my life more now than back then.  Mary Stewart always delivers an exciting, romantic, suspenseful book.  At least that's my experience.  This one takes place in near the French / Swiss border, at an estate on the side of a mountain.  It involves a young boy set to inherit the estate when he comes of age and his uncle, who is his trustee.  Maybe his uncle thinks he should inherit the estate.      The new governess thinks the boy is at risk.

That's all folks until I get moved and settled.  I hope after that happens, someone will return my mind!


6 comments:

  1. I have read "Nine Coaches Waiting"! How exciting! To find that I have read something, which a "real" reading person has read. :-) Actually, I think I have read about everything by Mary Stewart.

    Best of everything, with moving house. With finding places for everything, is probably the most important 'wish' right now.

    It sounds as if you have found the perfect place to live. Hope you will share with us, photos of your home and the surrounding area.

    Gentle hugs....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind wishes and gentle hugs! We hope this will be a place of peace and tranquility for us.
      I like Mary Stewart a lot. I've read quite a few of her books, but I've only started rereading them.
      It's nice to have a new commenter!

      Delete
  2. I'm amazed you've managed to read so much as you've been so busy. I enjoyed a Cyril Hare recently too and I think Nine Coaches Waiting is one of my favourite Mary Stewart books. Just think what a great spring and summer you're going to have in your garden - well worth all the trouble I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the Mary Stewart book, as I've enjoyed the ones I read recently. I am looking forward to seeing what comes up in the gardens and planting some new things.

      Delete
  3. You still managed to read a n ice bit with all the house stuff! I hope the final details and final move go smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stefanie. Things appear to be moving along nicely. After Tuesday, all of our things will be in one house. I just told Jack I thought this was a nice time of year to move (hoping that Tuesday there won't be a blizzard!) because as it gets warmer, it'll be fun to walk more in our new neighborhood and to see what comes up in the gardens. Lots to look forward to!

      Delete